Hi. My name is Kristen and I’m addicted to lip balm.
Oh good, it’s so nice to meet you.
Ever since I can remember, I’ve been addicted – like hard core, crazy, I can’t go to sleep at night or think about anything else if I don’t have lip balm in close proximity. It’s really funny. And annoying. In fact, as I’m writing this – all l can think about is how dry my lips are and where my lip balm is so I can take care of business.
Ahhh…much better. Now where was I?
Oh yes, addicted to lip balm. Yep, that’s me.
And since I love nerdy facts, there is some science behind this phenomenon. Albeit more psychologically addicting than chemically addicting, I’m hooked regardless.
Since I’m not giving up this addiction anytime soon, the next obvious step is to DIY your lip balm – saving oodles of money. The non-toxic stuff (like this) is EXPENSIVE, friends. And I like to save my money for other things.
I made this recently for a summer-themed essential oils make & take class, and it was a big hit. It’s so smooth and soothing – with Peppermint (giving you cooling sensation) & Lavender (giving you that soothing sensation) Essential Oils. And if you want to give it some added SPF power, so you don’t go burning your lips add a bit of zinc oxide. Just don’t ask me what the exact SPF of it is – because I’d be lying if I told you. This homemade lip balm is the perfect addition to your beach bag or man purse this summer.
Now here’s the thing. The key to remember is that not all essential oils are created equal. Quality matters, my friends – especially when you’re putting it on your skin – your largest organ! This is the only brand of essential oils that I trust with my family’s wellness.
Now let’s go make a whole bunch so we never ever run out and lose our minds, shall we?
- 12 lip balm tubes (buy here)
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil (buy here)
- 2 tbsp. beeswax (buy here)
- 1 tbsp. shea butter (buy here)
- 1 tbsp. castor oil (buy here)
- 1 tsp. non-nano zinc oxide (optional if you want some SPF) (buy here)
- 7 drops Young Living Peppermint Essential Oil (this is the only brand of essential oils I use)
- 7 drops Young Living Lavender Essential Oil (this is the only brand of essential oils I use)
- Gently melt the coconut oil, beeswax, shea butter, and castor oil in a double boiler or glass bowl set in a saucepan of simmering water.
- Remove from heat and whisk in zinc oxide (if using) and essential oils.
- Quickly pour into the tubes. Allow to set and cap the containers.
- Tip: a SUPER easy way to create less mess and possibly spillage is to band together the empty tubes with a rubber band and pour nice and easy.
✂️ Cut Out the Wellness Noise
I personally promise not to send you wasteful spammy emails. 🚫✉️
When I send an email, I AM sharing my knowledge on Essential Oils, Cutting out Sugar, Detoxing, DIY, and so much more to help you on your wellness journey. 🥗🧶🌍